IDE Window: Evaluate/Modify
From Free Pascal wiki
You must setup the debugger and start the project to debug it. Only then will this window be useful.
- Evaluate/Modify window can be displayed via Main Menu→Run→Evaluate/Modify...
It is not grayed only when the executed application is paused.
- Evaluates the given expression
- When the new values is set, it assigns the new value to the expression. The expression can only be a property or a variable. (Read notes on "New Value")
- Add the expression to the watch list
- Show the variable inspector for the expression. The expression can only be a property or a variable.
- Use Instance class type
- Objects are normally shown according to the declaration of the watched expression. Evaluating "Sender: TObject" will only show you data, that is declared in TObject. However object variables can contain objects of inherited classes. Sender may be a TForm. Using this the debugger will find the actual class of the object and display all data.
- Enter the expression to be evaluated/modified/watched/inspected here
- The result of the evaluation. If the evaluation of the expression failed, an error message is shown.
- New Value
- The new value you want to use for a variable or property.
Important note on "New Value":
- You should not attempt to modify "managed" types (strings, dynamic array). This will lead to memory corruption.
- There is currently no safety check in place, so you must ensure this yourself.