Configure the IDE
In order to be able to debug any of your projects, you need to make sure a the IDE is correctly configured.
This settings do not usually change. You need to make them only once after you installed Lazarus, or if you changed/updated your installation
- Open the Lazarus option dialog
The image shows, where to find the option dialog in the Lazarus 0.9.31 and up. In previous versions the entry is in the "Environment" menu.
- Make sure, the option "Gnu debugger (GDB)" is selected.
- The path to the gdb.exe may differ.
- On unix based systems it may be something like "/usr/bin/gdb"
- On windows it should be in a folder called "mingw\bin\" in the directory in which Lazarus is installed.
In order to debug your project, you need to tell the IDE to compile it in a special way, which provides additional information required by the debugger.
The required settings can be made in the "Project Options" dialog:
- You must enable the "Generate Debug Info for GDB"
- You must not use any of the following