>> LCL Components >> TLabel
This page explains how to use the TLabel component. When I mention to click on something, unless I explicitly say to right-click, you always left-click on the item in question.
Control to show static text, possibly in multiple lines.
A TLabel is one of the most basic components that you can put on a form. Most labels are the marking of other components, such as Edit fields, Memos, StringGrids and so on. TLabels provide a variety of events available to you but not required in most cases.
You can add a label to your form, by clicking the TLabel (text symbol Abc) on the Standard component palette and place it with a click on your form.
To change the default label Label of a new inserted TLabel on a form, you can proceed as follows:
- On your form with one click, select the TLabel.
- Go on properties in the Object Inspector tab.
- Select the property Caption and change it in the next edit field.
- In the same way, you can select the property Name and give the label a better name.
Of course, you can change the caption (the text displayed) during run time.
The following example demonstrates this:
- Create a new GUI application with the form Form1. Add this form still a TButton Button1 and a TLabel Label1 by selecting the appropriate components on the Standard Component Tab and clicking on Form1 (the label should be above the button).
- Create now a event handler for Button1, by simply double clicking on Button1.
- Insert following lines of code in the OnClick event handler of Button1:
procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject); const Cnt: Integer = 0; //Counter to determine how many times the button has been clicked begin inc(Cnt); //Increment the counter by 1 Label1.Caption:='Button was clicked ' + //Write the text on the caption of Label1 IntToStr(Cnt) + ' times'; end;
- Start your program and test the change of the label caption by clicking the button.
To represent a multiline text, you need to insert at the appropriate place in the string a #13 as a word wrap signal.
|Return To: LCL Components||— Previous: TButton||Next: TEdit|
--Michl 21:42, 15 May 2014 (CEST)