major version to do
From Lazarus wiki
This is a page for reminders with regard to release engineering and the next "major" FPC version. Mostly it is a list of reminders which deprecated functionality can be removed.
2.8.x (working title for 1st major release after 2.6 series)
- Remove deprecated functions in unit "unix" - these have been deprecated since before 2007.
- remove deprecated functions from unixutils. (deprecated during the 2.4.0 release preparation)
- sockets unit has old non fp functions under ifdef. Can be removed at any time.
- Linux stat record cleanup? Has been deprecated for at least the whole 2.6 cycle.
- sockets inaddr unit has non standard fieldnames from 1.0.x time in union (roughly same issue as linux stat. Has been deprecated for a while too.
3.0.0 (2nd major release after 2.6 series)
- review all deprecations in unix/ dir again. Most are relatively unused and harmless.
- remove deprecated htons(signed) functions in sockets (unsigned ones introduced after 2.6.2)